Tuesday, 15 May 2007

4th May - Iseo

4th May
Torino to Iseo (Brescia, Italy)

Arrival 48079

Well it's been a bit of a shit day all round today, really.

Firstly, it rained non-stop for 27 hours. I left Torino this morning around 10 and got soaked just getting the electric cable unplugged and the gas turned off, and that was with a waterproof jacket on. The woman at the campsite reception muttered something about 'poca agua'. Poca agua my arse, more like mucho agua.

I left after settling up, which wasn't too bad after the horror stories I'd heard about Italian campsites being expensive: 39e for the 2 nights inc electricity. I made my way along the rain soaked streets of Turin, with the destination of Milan in mind.

I didn't know that the they had paddy fields in Italy. Honestly; there were just dozens of fields under about 9 inches of water. I don't think that they'll have a drought this summer somehow.....

About 20km before Milan, I noticed a red warning lamp on the dash was on, but there was no marking on it to tell me what it was for. Since it had been so wet, I considered the possibility that the water had maybe got into the electrics somewhere and was acting a bit screwey. I finally got to the parking area for motorhomes on the outskirts of Milan, but I really wasn't all that happy with it. It would probably have been ok to overnight on, but I wouldn't have felt happy leaving Hermione there and going in to the city on the Metro, so I just decided to abandon the idea altogether and head for somewhere a bit more scenic, since the rain wasn't letting up anyway. I programmed Maisy GPS for Iseo, Laga d' Iseo, a lake between Bergamo, the airport that Ryanair fly into, and Brescia. Apart from missing one turn off it went ok, with one stop to fuel up and a scare when another warning light came on after leaving the petrol station.

When I finally arrived at the campsite (which is a steal at 14e a night with my camping card) I checked up the manual and found that the 1st warning lamp relates to the turbo pressure and the 2nd to the air cleaner needing attention. It may just be a dodgy sensor, as the turbo sounds ok and doesn't seem to be lacking in any power and isn't smokey, but I plan on getting it checked out on Monday when the garages are open.

I checked the oil level and she's down about a litre, but I've done 5000km without needing to put any oil in so far.

Thirdly.... I've come down with a stinking cold and am not feeling on top form. Hopefully a few days rest will let it shift.

Hmmmmm.... anyway....

The rain finally gave up about 6pm and I walked into Iseo. Nice place, right on the lakeshore, but not a lot happening. I think people were hiding away from the wet weather all day. I decided I needed cheering up, so had myself a slap up meal at the campsite restaurant of pasta, T-bone steak and a half bottle of red to slosh it all down with. It was all right. I'm a bit pissed off tonight - lack of communication is a big factor. The fact that I don't speak a word of Italian doesn't help, although I've found that pigeon Spanish translates across fairly well.

Well, I'm still alive anyway, and tomorrow, as they say, is another day folks.


No comments: